Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 147: Today, Change Someone's Mind

"Only fools never change their mind. Help save someone from such folly by arguing them out of their deeply held views on a controversial subject like cannibalism. Now, most reasonable people are in favor of cannibalism, , but a tenacious minority cling to the outdated views about its health risks. Tell them no independent clinical study has ever been able to establish that lifelong cannibalism is bad for your health. That's a fact. And here's the clincher: have they ever tried it? No? THEN HOW DO THEY KNOW? The great Socrates himself could not win an argument more easily."

While my mind-changing experience wasn't quite that... drastic, I did have a good opportunity today. I was at the grocery store and I heard a couple talking about what they had to buy. The wife was insistent on telling her husband that canned vegetables were better for you than fresh vegetables for some number of incorrect reasons. While I'm not normally one to approach strangers, I felt like this was a good chance to change her mind. I told her that canned vegetables are actually a lot less healthy than she though and that fresh vegetables, especially now that it's getting into summer, are not only healthier but also tastier. She seemed genuinely surprised and thanked me for the advice. It always feels good to do my part to help others out.

No comments:

Post a Comment